Griekwastad (Griquatown)

Renamed Griquatown in 1813 by Reverend John Campbell (1766– 1840) after the Griquas. It was Campbell who also changed the name from Basterd- Hottentotten to Griquas to incorporate both the 'Basters' and the Korannna tribes who were living there.
Previous Name: Klaarwater, when it was founded as a mission station by the London Missionary Society, because of the clear water there.

Province
Northern Cape
Establish Date
1802
Municipality
1910