Benefits for members.
- Member of a professional body with recognised career path development (CPD)
- Recognised and vetted registration credentials.
- Collective marketing to tour operators and agents.
- CPD opportunities to suit your schedule.
- One on one marketing opportunities.(Tourist Guide Indaba)
- Registered professional designation (in the process of registration with SAQA)
Benefits for Tour Operators and Agents
- Properly vetted registered professional tourist guides.
- Language guarantee.
- Registered disciplinary process.
Membership requirements and procedures
Membership to the Institute of Professional Tourist Guides of Southern Africa (IPTGSA) is a professional designation to strive to with hard work and dedication. Professional status is not just handed to a certain few ,but earned by any tourist guide that has made guiding his/her profession.
- Aspirant Membership An Aspirant Member complies with most application criteria save for time related experience.Membership fee is 50% of professional membership.
- Professional Membership. Any registered Tourist Guide complying to application requirements.
- Honorary Membership. The EXCO may grant Honorary Membership to any person or organisation whom, in its opinion, has contributed significantly to furthering the objects of the Institute or has been a continuous full member for 10 years.
Membership will be annually and run from the first date when registration was issued. Renewal is required to be done before expiry date. A break in continuity, for more than 3 months, will terminate membership and full application will be required for re-registration.
The following criteria is required to make application to become a Professional Tourist Guide
- Must be a registered tourist guide with NDT through one of the provincial registrars.
- Completed appropriate training course
- Received corresponding certificate.
- Completed First Aid certificate
- Registered at provincial government and have registration number
- Subscribe to the Tourism Bill (Act 3 of 2014) .CHAPTER 6 (extract of Chapter 6 of theTourism Bill (Act 3 of 2014) pertaining to Tourist Guides)
- Signed and acknowledge the code of conduct as detailed in the Regulations of the Tourism Bill (Act 3 of 2014)
- Must have qualified with minimum NQF4 Guiding Certificate.
- Must have competence as determined by the South African Qualifications Authority in accordance with the national qualifications framework contemplated in the National Qualifications Framework Act, 2008 (Act No. 67 of 2008)
- Must have done more than 5 years in the tourist guiding industry.
- Must attend a panel interview of peer review.
- Must submit to Continuous Professional Development.
Procedure of Application for registration as Professional Tourist Guide
- Register online at www.iptgsa.org by clicking Create an account on User Log in menu.
- After verification of your registration you shall be notified by email with your username and password.
- On the application being successful you shall be notified in writing on when your panel interview will take place.
On successful completion of your application, panel interview and payment of R1200 annual membership fee you will be issued with a registration card and membership certificate.